Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Whaddya mean it's already Wednesday?

I can't believe it's already Wednesday! I was away in Seattle on the weekend, so I don't have a lot of progress to report. I did buy border fabric while I was across the border, so here's a sneak peek of how the baby quilt will look:


Last night I bought a backing fabric as well:


At least I managed to finish a few ID holder wristlets for my Etsy shop:


Finally, I just started knitting a vest for myself. I tried going shopping this weekend, since I'm in desperate need of some new winter clothing, but this year's styles just don't appeal to me. If you want a wool vest, best to DIY! I never make complete gauge swatches--usually I just do a swatch for an inch or two, and then decide whether or not it's going to work. This time, though, I actually made and blocked the swatch for what I'm pretty sure is the first time in my life:


It looked tiny when I finished it, but happily, after blocking, it was 4" x 4", 16 stitches across and 22 rows high--just what the pattern called for. I also finally taught myself a proper long tail cast-on last night. Since I started sock-knitting last winter, I've learned a lot of new techniques. I'm still a quilter at heart, but maybe I'll also consider myself to be a knitter as well, with a little more practice and experience. We'll see--it depends on whether I actually manage to finish this vest in time to wear it this winter!

4 comments:

  1. The baby quilt is just amazing! I love your fabrics and colors. And your wristlets are very cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see that vest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, everyone! I'm looking forward to getting the borders on the quilt this weekend, and maybe piecing the backing and getting the layers basted together as well. As for the vest, I've knitted the first 17 rows. I've got a long way to go, but at least it's a start.

    ReplyDelete