Friday, August 3, 2012

Current project: Striped quilt

Many years ago, I read an article by Mary Mashuta about using striped fabrics to make clothing (Threads magazine, April 1991, pp. 60-64, republished in Quilts and Quilting (1991)). One of the photos featured a gorgeous pieced jumper in which matched stripes created a striking pattern, and ever since then, I've thought about quilting with striped fabrics.

This past winter, while I was working for a few months in Massachusetts, a local fabric store had a fire sale on Kaffe Fassett's ikat woven striped cottons, and I bought a big bundle of them. Not big enough, though--I also had to supplement them with some more Fassett stripes purchased on-line. Here's the quilt in progress, basted and ready for quilting:




2 comments:

  1. This quilt is gorgeous! I've been looking through your posts from your newest to this one so I've seen the progress. Luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I was thrilled with the finished quilt, and I'm looking forward to working with stripes some more in the future.

    ReplyDelete