Friday, October 5, 2012

Curves!

When I first started quilting, I tried machine-piecing a drunkard's path quilt. It was an absolute failure--I just couldn't get the curves to line up properly or avoid unwanted pleats--and I stayed away from curved piecing for the next 20+ years. Recently, however, I've been admiring the improvisational curves in other people's quilts, and VMQG's current Halloween block challenge seemed to provide the perfect opportunity to try again:


I can't believe how easily these two blocks came together! I don't know whether it was a matter of long years of experience with manipulating layers of fabric at the sewing machine, or if the gentle curves in these blocks are just a lot easier to piece than the quarter-circles in drunkard's path, but the curves didn't require too much more effort than regular straight-line sewing.

Janet A.'s tutorial also provided help and encouragement. Unlike Janet, I still pinned strategically--not too surprising, since I pin even when sewing plain old straight lines. I love the results, and I'm looking forward to a lot more curved piecing in the future!

2 comments:

  1. They look great! Fun, aren't they?! hmmm - I haven't sewn curves in awhile - I think I might have to go play - thanks Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already imagining the quilts with curved piecing that I might make. These blocks were so much fun to put together!

    ReplyDelete