Saturday, May 24, 2014

Two more pieces

I've prepped a couple more pieces of fabric for the next round of dyeing.  For the fat quarter below, I got the idea of doing a chevron variant from Karren K. Brito's Shibori: Creating Color & Texture on Silk:

I still have to pull the threads, and I haven't decided yet how I'm going to dye this one.  Brito suggests a rope resist for greater visual texture, which is a tempting idea.  But I might go for the contrast between dark and light zones by throwing it into the dye bath straight up.

I also prepped a piece for tesuji (pleated shibori).  The straps on my old tote bag are absolutely shredded, so it's time to make a new one, and I've decided the exterior should feature a tesuji dyed cotton, with a base in dark blue denim.  I took a 14" x 45" piece of fabric and pleated it lengthwise in folds of about 1 cm. in a fairly random and unmeasured manner.  Then I bound the whole thing tightly with cotton twine:

I had fun posing this sample: in the first photo, it looks like some kind of crazy fossilized nematode.  The binding process took me about 1-1/2 hours and was pretty hard on my hands, even though I wore a glove on my right hand to prevent rope burn.  I want to prep a second piece and wind it around a rope so that I can compare the results.  I will wait for a few days before doing that and also pulling the threads on the FQ, however, so that I can give my hands a rest.  Time to do some stretching exercises--and get back to my challenge quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment