Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Whack job!

My Madrona Road quilt is coming along. I made another five improv log cabin blocks to accompany the one I finished last week, and then I whacked them apart. Now, I'm in the process of putting them back together. Here are the results thus far:




The quilt is already quite different from what I originally imagined, and once the top is finished, I'll say more about the design process and the decisions that produced the gap between my original expectations and the end result. With any luck, I'll have the top pieced by next week.

7 comments:

  1. I really like the effect craleated by cutting apart improv blocks and sewing the back together. This is going to be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of making them - then cutting and re-piecing! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really beautiful! The re-pieced improv blocks look stunning.

    Thanks for your sweet comments about my FMQ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is looking good! Hope I get to see the top on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the look of these blocks. Very playful, fresh and modern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments, everyone! I can't take credit for the particular technique here, which I picked up from fellow VMQG member Paul K. and his Gee's Bend-inspired quilts, but in general, I do love the spontaneity of improv piecing. Janet--I hope you'll get to see the top on Monday as well. If not this Monday, the February meeting for sure!

    ReplyDelete